Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Tuesday poem #402 : Emma Tilley : GET A REAL JOB

 

I’m sorry I couldn’t hear you over the sound of my mortgage and my RRSP. Working twenty hours a week doesn’t count for anything unless you tack another twenty on there. Don’t forget overtime. That paycheque you earn cleaning toilets and restocking shelves can only be cashed out for Monopoly money. Do you want to build an empire out of tiny plastic houses or are you going to save up for 1/10th of a house on a postage stamp in Vancouver? It’s your life, but if you want my advice this is what I would do. Walk into that job interview wearing your graduation gown, bite down on the celebratory medal until your teeth crack. Don’t worry – this job will have health, dental, AND benefits so you can fix yourself to your heart’s content.

 

 

 

 

 

Emma Tilley’s writing has been published in Popshot Magazine, The Anti-Languorous Project, EVENT, and Poetry is Dead. Her debut chapbook Carp Dime was published by Rahila’s Ghost Press in 2019.

the Tuesday poem is curated by rob mclennan.

No comments: