Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Tuesday poem #288 : Liz Countryman : I PROMISE TO BE HONEST


about nature and stuff
the breezes blustering bits but
sounds like fun words
elephants of words
bushes blustering elephants

bits in the air hitting us
bees banging the storm doors
give me the feeling of falsehood
just a little like
winning at something fun

winning really kicking ass
bright faces and days kicked between
dark days weekdays winter days
separate faucets busy
with the toothbrush

or reusing my magnetic mirror
in the dark blue locker’s
stickered unclean
its lock stuck never exact
and I got no pictures to hang up

these houses belong
to these blocks where bushes
lean like this in the spring when
the weather leans like this
selling itself to new tenants

I feel a little silly around
these blustering houses
I feel fearless like
feeding you in the wind
with a pit in my pocket



Liz Countryman is the author of A Forest Almost (Subito, 2017) and coeditor of Oversound. She teaches in the MFA program at the University of South Carolina. 

the Tuesday poem is curated by rob mclennan


No comments: