Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Tuesday poem #287 : Madeleine Stratford : UNDERSTANDING


To  under-
stand is to stand
      under
not below

      Bodies touch

When I stand under
          you
withstanding your weight
I grasp your ankles
and hold on

As you stand on my shoulders
neither of us falls or feels
unsteady

But sometimes I can’t stand
          under
I must         crouch
sit
lie down
          crushed
          under

Then

I need
to gather
my strength and stand
          up
and lift you
          up
over my shoulders
so I can stand
under and under-
stand you

once

more




Madeleine Stratford is a poet, literary translator and professor of Translation at the Université du Québec en Outaouais. Her first poetry book, Des mots dans la neige (éditions anagrammes, 2009) was awarded the 2009 Orpheus Poetry Prize in France. Her poetry has also appeared in various journals, including Corresponding Voices, carte blanche, and Pøst. Her French translation of Ce qu’il faut dire a des fissures by Uruguayan poet Tatiana Oroño (Paris, L’Oreille du Loup, 2012) was awarded the 2013 John Glassco Prize by the Literary Translators’ Association of Canada. Elle nage (La Peuplade, 2016), her French version of the novel Swim, also by Marianne Apostolides, was shortlisted in 2016 for a Governor General award (Translation into French). In 2017, Me Tall You Small, her English translation of Lilli L’Arronge’s Ich groβ, du klein (OwlKids Books, 2017), was shortlisted for the Kirkus Prize.



the Tuesday poem is curated by rob mclennan


No comments: